* This museum quality panel is coated with a smooth absorbent clay ground comparable to the clay gesso grounds used during the Renaissance.
* Archival, lightfast, and acid free, the panels are ideal for acrylics, gouache, tempera, egg tempera, pen and inks as well as for mixed media techniques, airbrush, and collage.
* The surface is additive and subtractive.
* Scratch into your painting to add contrast, texture, tonal value and fine details.
* Perfect for any artwork that requires an extremely smooth surface.
* While in the past we have recommended Claybord for encaustics, we have since developed an amazing surface called Encausticbord that is rigid, absorbent, heat resistent and made especially for the unique demans of encaustic painting.
* Claybord is available in a 1/8" flat panel, a 3/4" cradle or with a 2" Deep Cradle.
About painting on Claybord:
Paints can be applied with brushes, sponges, paper towels, bristle brushes, air brushes and more. Claybord is an excellent printing surface and can also be used for Xerox or Polaroid transfers.
With Claybord, pigments can be manipulated to vary tonal value, create detail, develop highlights and correct mistakes. Recommended tools include: scratchboard tools, hobby-knives, razor blades, etching tools, sand paper, steel wool, or electric erasers. Claybord's clay coating allows the use of sgraffito techniques to cut into the surface and re-expose the white clay ground as part of the creative process. The coating is 7 to 10 dry-mils thick allowing for multiple cut-ins or erasers. The smooth finish and the absorbency of the clay ground allows the use of an abrasive like oil free steel wool or sand paper to remove pigment without damaging the finish.
While Claybord allows the use of traditional pigments, tools, and techniques, it is also an ideal surface for experimentation. The composition may be approached in a loose and expressive manner. Details can be added, highlights created, and mistakes corrected. These capabilities ensure a successful painting.
Ampersand is committed first and foremost to supporting artists in their creative process by providing surfaces that are not only a joy to paint and create on, but that will also withstand the test of time. Ampersand’s commitment to quality and archival principles led us to engineer the only archival sealed panels on the market today. Artists using the full range of panels from Claybord™ to Gessobord™ to the Artist Panel™ can rest assured that every step has been taken to ensure quality and performance. Ampersand’s passion is panel painting and we are passionate about our products.
All Ampersand products
This product is shipped from our warehouse in Austin, TX, USA. Lead time for this product is 3-6 weeks.
This product is brand new and includes the manufacturer's warranty, so you can buy with confidence.
Please submit your product question using this form. All fields are required.