Oval Mop Size 6
Kolibri "English" oval wash Squirrel imitation (Size 6)
* Kolibri brushes are handmade in Germany by Feurer & Sohn -- one of the oldest brush manufacturers in Germany (established 1898).
* Kolibri uses the finest synthetic hair in thickness of 0.06 – 0.15 mm has been used in recent years with great success. It emerges in an extremely fine point which is almost identical with sable hair. The special features which we are use are the conical shape, the well structured surface which takes over the function of the scales on natural hair and guarantees an even color distribution. The hair is exceptionally soft and absorbent, so that the brush tip holds paint exceptionally well, forms an excellent point and doesn't leave hair tracks while brushing.
* Brush Sizes
* Numbering brushes provides order for brushes within a series. The order is determined by the size of the ferrule opening and in many cases, the number on the brush is in fact the size of the ferrule opening.
* In the United States, the English or the metric system of sizing is commonly used, depending upon the type of brush. Natural bristle brushes are measured using the English system, which means a size 12 is equal to 1 inch. In turn, a size 6 is 1/2 inch, a size 18 is 11/2 inches, and so on. Long handle synthetic filament brushes designed to be used as an alternative to bristle brushes are also sized this way.
* Natural soft hair and other synthetic brushes are measured using the metric system. One millimeter is equal to a size 1, 3 mm to size 3, etc. This standard is effective, except that it is difficult to measure and assign a value to any measurement less than 1 mm. So, when a brush is sized 10/0, 3/0 etc. it becomes quite hypothetical. Roughly translated, 3/0 means 3 units less than a millimeter and 10/0 is 10 units less than a millimeter.
* You may also find that many flat brushes in the U.S. are simply labeled in inches and fractions, regardless of their hair type.
* Although we have discussed two of the most logical and more common systems of sizing, it is important to note that there is no industry standard that manufacturers must follow. Sizing for various types of brushes is often rooted in tradition and the country of origin, or set for any number of reasons when a particular brush line is first created. The best standard of measurement a consumer can use is to compare similar lines from various manufacturers size for size.
* Silver-Plated Brass Ferrules
* Silver ferrules are seamless drawn nickel plated brass. Silver ferrules are used for higher qualities of artist-brushes.
* The short black polished handles are made of hardwood. Only the best brush handles are dipped. They are made by lowering the handles first in primer, then twice in colored lacquer and finally in varnish -- a total of four coats -- for a lustrous durable finish. The silver tip on each handle is an additional dip and protective coat of the handle end. For ease of handling in a pencil grip, the hardwood handles are 14.3 cm (5 5/8 in.) from the ferrule to handle end. The hardwood handles are lacquer finished for long life.
|Medium||Watercolor, Acrylics, Tempera, Oil|
|Brush Style||"English" oval wash|
|Hair Type||Imitation Squirrel|
|Hair Width||19.1 mm (3/4")|
|Hair Length||34 mm (1 11/32")|
|Handle Length||14.3 cm (5 5/8")|