Japan Drier is a concentrated 10% lead and 2% manganese driers in spirits of gum turpentine and linseed oil, prepared according to late nineteenth century historical formula.
“Japan drier” is a common term for any oil drying agent that can be mixed with drying oils such as linseed oil and alkyd-oil paints to speed up “drying”. The name refers to “japannning”, a term for the use of drying oils as an imitation or substitution for urushiol-based Japanese lacquer. In the nineteenth century, Japan driers often were made with lead and manganese in a base of linseed oil, turpentine and natural resin. The resins used were copal, dammar, rosin and shellac. Today, most Japan driers consist of manganese in a base of linseed oil and mineral spirits.
Manganese is a primary oxidizing (active) drier. Used alone and in thick applications of paint it has a tendency to cause wrinkling. Manganese is generally used in combination with lead, zirconium, calcium or combination of these metals as a drying initiator.
Lead is an effective auxiliary driers when used in conjunction with active driers, such as manganese. Lead promotes the through drying of paint film. It improves the action of manganese drier and is used in conjunction with it and assists in the "through dry" of oil and alkyd paint.
Add one drop per 5 ml (about 1 teaspoon) of paint. Suggested use levels should be verified with tests.
|Physical Properties |
|Appearance: ||Dark brown liquid |
|Color (Gardner): ||Brown |
|Lead Content: ||10% |
|Manganese Content: ||2% |
|Non Volatile Content: ||47% |
|Specific Gravity (@25° C., kg/L): ||1.02 |
|Viscosity (@25° C., Gardner): ||A1 |
Health and Safety
WARNING! CONTAINS: TURPENTINE AND LEAD. Exposure may cause skin and eye irritation. Overexposure will cause dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea and cracking or drying of skin. Avoid contact with skin. Avoid breathing mist or vapor. Wear safety glasses, protective clothing and chemical resistant rubber gloves when handling. Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid swallowing.
Eye Contact: Flush eyes at once with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes, while holding lids open. Get medical attention.
Skin Contact: Wash thoroughly with soap and water. Wash clothes and shoes before reuse. If irritation persists, get medical attention.
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air.
Ingestion: Seek medical attention.