Rublesol Lite is a medium evaporating, low-odor mineral spirits. It evaporates much more slowly than turpentine and slower than odorless mineral spirits allowing more open time and prolonged work. It also makes colors more matte upon drying. Rublesol Lite evaporates completely and leaves no residue. The solvent is highly refined and has very low levels of impurities—such as sulfur, olefins, and benzene. The total aromatic content is less than 1%.
Artists use mineral spirits as an alternative to turpentine, because it is less flammable and less toxic. Because of interactions with pigments, painters require a higher grade of mineral spirits, including the absence of residual sulfur. Rublesol Lite has been further refined to remove the more toxic aromatic compounds and is recommended where painters must use a less odorous solvent.
Rublesol Lite is less toxic than other brands of odorless mineral spirits (OMS), mineral spirits and turpentine, because the aromatic components have been removed. 200 mg/m3 is the ACGIH Threshold Value or TLV (TWA) as total hydrocarbon vapor (8 hours). This means painters can work with Rublesol Lite much longer than turpentine without adverse health effects. The higher the amount, the safer the solvent is to use.Applications
Use to thin oil-based paints for better flow, penetration and leveling. Use to dilute wax and wax pastes. Use as a cleaner to remove wax and oil. Use to clean brushes and for general studio use.Directions
Use Rublesol Lite to dissolve paint, varnish or mediums, then wash off the residue in warm soapy water, and finally rinse in clean water.Typical Specifications
Rublesol Lite is an isoparaffinic solvent that has been synthesized from selected hydrocarbons under conditions that exclude virtually all odor-producing fractions. The product is consequently highly stable and retains its virtually odorless quality under normal conditions and extended storage.
|Product Name:||Rublesol Lite|
|Chemical Name:||Petroleum Distillates, Hydrotreated Light|
|Density @15.6° C:||763 kg/m³|
|Distillation–IBP||176° C min.|
|Relative Evaporation Rate: |
(nBuAc=1) (ASTM D3539)
|Flash Point:||61° C min.|
|Safety Information:||WARNING! Contains Petroleum Distillates. Combustible liquid and vapor. Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. Affects central nervous system. Causes irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract. Overexposure may result in nausea, headache, confusion or instability. Conforms to the health requirements of ASTM D 4236. |
PRECAUTIONS: Avoid prolonged contact with skin and breathing vapors. Keep away from eyes. Keep away from heat or flame. Use with adequate ventilation. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
FIRST AID: If swallowed do not induce vomiting, get prompt medical attention. If eye irritation occurs, rinse with water 5–10 minutes. If symptoms occur, move to fresh air. If symptoms persist, see a physician. For further health information contact a local poison control center or call 1-800-445-7067.